M Ponti Azani is an Associate in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Lubis, Santosa & Maramis. Prior to joining Lubis, Santosa & Maramis, he served as an Associate at another premier Jakarta law firm for 5 (five) years, where he focused his practice on litigation & dispute resolution practices. During that time, he advised and represented clients in various commercial legal disputes, such as bankruptcy, restructuring, competition, consumer protection, arbitration cases before the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC) & Indonesian National Arbitration Board (BANI), and many other commercial cases.
M. Ponti Azani graduated in Law from University of Indonesia. M. Ponti Azani completed his Master degree in Trade, Investment, and Competition Law & Policy (MTIC) from the World Trade Institute (WTI) – University of Berne, Switzerland in cooperation with the University of Pelita Harapan, Indonesia.
Professional and Career Background
In Dispute Resolution practice, M. Ponti Azani regularly works on both commercial and criminal matters spanning the entire range of practice areas. Some of his substantial cases that he was involved in are as follows:
- Subsidiaries of Ooredoo Qatar (formerly known as Qatar Telecom) competition case against a finding by the Indonesian competition authority (KPPU) that it was involved in illegal cross-ownership that had breached Indonesian antitrust laws (2008);
- Indonesia Communications Ltd. and Indonesia Communications Pte. Ltd. class action cases, in relation to the allegation of excessive telecommunications pricing before the Tangerang District Court (2008);
- PT Graha Layar Prima (operator of Blitz Megaplex cinema) competition case against 21 Cineplex (operator XXI cinema), in relation to the allegation of monopoly practices in the film industry before the Indonesian competition authority (KPPU) (2009);
- PT Combined Imperial Pharmaceuticals (a major pharmaceuticals company in Indonesia) in a bankruptcy case examined by the Central Jakarta Commercial Court (2010-2012);
- ASL Shipyard Pte. Ltd. (one of a major ship building company in Singapore) and its subsidiary case against PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk., in connection with ship detention before the Batam District Court (2013).
- Shimizu Corporation (one of the oldest construction company) cases, in connection with commercial disputes before the Central Jakarta District Court (2014);
- PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (Persero) (a state electricity company) administrative case against the Finance and Development Supervisory Agency (BPKP), with regard to State Losses Audit Report issued by BPKP before the Jakarta Administrative Court (2014);
- 2 (two) French journalists in criminal cases, who were arrested by Police in Papua in connection with covering news related to the Free Papuan Movement (OPM) (2014);
- A registered Advocate of the Indonesian Advocate Association (PERADI)
- Researcher at the Environmental Committee of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (KADIN) (2011)
- Researcher at the Centre for Finance, Investment and Securities Law (CFISEL) (2009-2010)
In addition to his professional activities, M. Ponti Azani co-authored the Indonesian chapter of “Arbitrating and Mediating Disputes – Benchmarking arbitration and mediation regimes for commercial disputes related to foreign direct investment” Book (October 2013, The World Bank); and has assisted in the writing of a number of legal articles on dispute resolution matters, inter alia, (1) “The Judicial Commission’s Effectiveness in Monitoring the Behavior of Unethical Judges” (February 2012); (2) “Feasibility of A Settlement Plan in the Process of Suspension of Debt Payment Obligation (PKPU)” (December 2011); (3) “The Mediation Process in Indonesian Courts” (June 2011); and (4) “Bill on Commercial Court” (March 2011).
Professional and Organizational Activities