hmad Irfan Arifin is a Partner at Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Lubis, Santosa & Maramis. He graduated from the Parahyangan Catholic University (Sarjana Hukum) in 2005. He obtained his master degree (LL.M.) from Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, United States of America in 2013, where he received an Award on Best Advocacy for Legal Research and Writing.
Ahmad Irfan Arifin specializes himself in civil and commercial litigation including complex litigation matters such as class action and citizen lawsuit claims, administrative law and unfair business competition. Prior to joining Lubis, Santosa & Maramis in 2009, Ahmad Irfan Arifin had worked for 4 (four) years in another prominent litigation firm in Jakarta. During that time, he was intensively involved as a leading lawyer in advising and representing clients from various types of industries including but not limited to media conglomerates, land and property, major supermarket groups as well as several state- owned enterprises.
In his tenure with the previous firm, Ahmad Irfan Arifin had been acting as a leading lawyer in advising and representing clients from various types of industries including but not limited to media conglomerates, land and property, major supermarket groups as well as several state-owned enterprises
Some of his substantial representations are as follows:
- The New York Times Company LLC (The New YorkTimes Newspaper) together with Its investment journalist, in libel suits brought by US Mining Executive before the Central Jakarta District Court in 2007 and 2008;
- Royal International Investment (Mauritius) Limited against a major Indonesian Plastic Manufacturer in connection with a convertible bonds dispute before the Central Jakarta District Court in 2006;
- Raymond International, Ltd in defending its Indonesian investment arm with regard to several industrial disputes at the Surabaya Industrial Relations Court, in 2006-2008;
- PT. Carrefour Indonesia in its defence against a tort claim under the margin debt arrangement filed by its distributors before the South Jakarta District Court in 2008;
- PT. Istaka Karya (Persero) against a Japanese International Investment Company with regard to the dispute in connection with medium term note redemption in 2006;
- PT.Perusahaan Gas Negara (Persero)Tbk, in its defence before the Central Jakarta District Court against the claim concerning the award of South Sumetera West Java Project-Phase II (SSWJ II Project) in 2006.
In year 2009, at Lubis, Santosa & Maramis, Ahmad Irfan Arifin led the firm’s legal team in a successful representation of Astro All Asia Networks, Plc in several class action claims brought by subscribers of its local disputed investment arms before the Jakarta, Surabaya and Medan District Courts. He was also successful in leading a legal team assigned to represent such entity in an Objection matter filed by PT. MNC Sky Vision against the Decision of the Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) at the West Jakarta District Court as well as in another Objection efforts of Astro All Asia Networks, Plcat Civil Review stage (Peninjauan Kembali) before the Supreme Court of Indonesia.
In 2011, Ahmad Irfan Arifin continued his involvement in defending clients in a class action claim filed a group of individuals where at the time he led the Lubis, Santosa & Maramis legal team in representing the Age Limited and the Sydney Morning Herald Newspaper before a Central Jakarta District Court.
Ahmad Irfan Arifincurrently leads the Lubis, Santosa & Maramis legal team assigned to the following high profile cases:
- Conoco Phillips Grissik Ltd, in an administrative challenge with regard to a BPH Migas decree which increases the gas transportation tariff of Grissik – Singapore Line;
- Salim Groupin the defence of proceedings before Kota Bumi District Court and Gunung Sugih District Court over the sales of Sugar Group Companies and cancellation of the companies US$ 75 million Loan Agreements;
- Asia Mineral Resources, Plc (formerly Bumi Plc) in defending its Indonesian subsiadiary PT Berau Coal with regard to an investment dispute before the South Jakarta District Court;
- Shimizu Corporation in an investment dispute related to Jakarta MRT (mass rapid transportation) project brought by its former Indonesian partner.
In addition to his professional activities, Ahmad Irfan Arifin is also active as a speaker in various seminars held by a number of Indonesian Law Schools in which he speaks on the matters related to Press Law, Arbitration and Investment Dispute.
Ahmad Irfan Arifin is a member of Indonesian Advocates Association (Peradi). He speaks Bahasa Indonesia and English